We’re often asked by Schools and Universities to recommend a USB flash drive that can withstand the rigours of daily use (and abuse) by their students. It’s not unusual for these institutions to buy thousands of flash drives each year for their annual intake and either provide them free of charge as part of their “joining pack” or to sell them via the school or university shop.
Whether they are being given away or sold these flash drive have to have several key characteristics:
- They have to be reliable and work every time they are used – good quality grade flash memory chip should be used to ensure the flash drives have a reasonable life and won’t fail in the first few months of use. For a student there would be nothing worse than saving a dissertation onto a flash drive only to find that it failed when you needed to retrieve the file.
- Ideally the flash drives need to be reasonably fast – standard promotional USB flash drive have a typical read/write speed of around 2 – 4MB per second. Student will appreciate faster read/write speeds, which means specifying better quality flash memory components, and faster controller chips when you buy the flash drives.
- They need to be physically robust – reliability and speed are of course important but given the punishment these flash drives take in the hands of students it’s critical that a strong, robust model is chosen. There are lots of plastic or metal and plastic models around and whilst these are popular with businesses to support their sales and marketing activities they are not the ideal option for students. Our recommendation is something like the metal Capsule USB flash drive.
Metal Capsule USB Flash Drives
The Metal Capsule Drive is an excellent choice for students because:
- It’s manufactured from tough, lightweight steel but it has no square or sharp edges. As such its safe to handle and incredibly stong.
- It can be attached to a keyring or bag easily and quickly
- The cap screws on so whilst it does have a cap (and of course caps can be lost) the cap, once on won’t accidentally come off and it provide a good level of protection to the USB connector.
- There’s a rubber seal between the body of the drive and the cap so when the cap is screwed on the drive becomes watertight and will withstand the occasional wash in a washing machine
- They look pretty cool and are the sort of flash drives that will appeal to students.
If you’re interested in getting a price for the Capsule USB Flash drive then give us a call on 0800 008 7079 or fill in the online quote request form and we’ll get back to you in a flash!
Not all USB memory sticks get treated with the respect they are due. In fact, some USB memory sticks can expect nothing other than a life of hard knocks and brutal punishment from the day they start being used.
Fortunately not all memory sticks are “born” equal and for some everyday punishment and abuse is like water off a ducks back. When you’re looking to source USB sticks for students, contractors working outside, architects spending lots of time outside on-site or staff working in near military conditions it is critical to know which USB sticks will be robust enough to stand up to the rigours of daily use.
The vast majority of promotional and branded USB flash drives are manufactured from plastic, lightweight aluminium or a combination of the two. These drives are absolutely fine for general everyday use but they won’t necessarily stand up to lots of physical punishment and the certainly won’t be waterproof.
If you are looking for a branded USB memory sticks that is incredibly tough, is manufactured from metal, has a screw cap to protect the USB connector and is waterproof then you should consider the Capsule USB model from USB2U.
Capsule USB Stick
These capsule shaped USB sticks available in a wide range of memory sizes starting at 512MB and the body shell can be spray painted to whatever colour you want it to be. Your logo will then be applied over the top the body shell colour you’re requested. Typically these Capsule USB sticks are supplied with a lanyard or keyring attachment so that you don’t lose them! Its one thing being near indestructible but that does not help if your absent minded or prone to losing things once you’ve put them down somewhere!
Whilst they may be tough there is no compromise on the aesthetics because the finished product when spray-painted and logo’d up looks every bit as good as its more “namby pamby” cousins.
If you’re looking to buy a strong, robust and stylish USB flash drive for promotional purposes or for use at an event or show then you might want to consider the metal Capsule USB Flash Drive.
Not only is this USB drive manufactured from metal but instead of the cap simply “pulling off” its screwed on to give a really tight fit. So much so that the drive is virtually waterproof as well as being virtually indestructible.
The Capsule drive can be supplied in any colour you want because its made to order and the shell is spray painted before any branding is applied. So, unlike most other flash drives that are manufactured from plastic with aluminium trims each capsule drive is hand finished and spray-painted. There are some standard factory colours (white, blue, black and red) that are available off the shelf but any colour is possible and it only adds a couple of days to the manufacturing process to get the Capsule Drive produced in your preferred colour.
Capsule Flash Drive
Because of their innate strength these drives are excellent when attached to a key ring because they will absorb all of the usual bumps and scrapes that anything on a key ring and attached to a bunch of keys will pick up in every day use. Not only that but because of how they are manufactured, painted and printed the brand will last and is not going to get scratched away.
If you’ve got a brand or product synonymous with security, strength or resilience then the Capsule will certainly be a good fit.
Whichever flash drives you choose don’t forget to pre-load your company data, presentation slides, sales brochures and links to web sites. This data can be “locked” so it cannot be deleted, you could make it “auto-run” so an application starts as soon as its plugged into a USB port or you could simply load the data into a separate partition so that your pre-loaded data is always kept separate from any personal data the recipient might load onto the drive.
Data can be loaded onto the flash drives during the manufacture or just before delivery if you’re up against it in terms of pulling all of your data together! Either way pre-loading data is a great idea because you fully maximise the promotional benefits of the product you’re buying.